Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Problem with Tensed Tense

One of the biggest problems that I face while writing is the use of tense. I have a habit of switching back and forth between past and present. When I start typing my story, I begin with past tense because it's a little easier to tell a story from that point. However, as I get into the story, I feel a part of my main character and get drawn into his world and begin describing the things I see in my mind's eye. Unfortunately, that includes switching tenses to the present.

By the time I've caught myself doing it, I have already written a page in present tense. The only thing I can think to do after that is ignore it for the time being.

Here's the way I see it: If you're on a roll and your creative bug is wanting out, let it flow. If you stop to worry about grammar early on in the writing process, you're going to be beating yourself over the head quite a bit and the next thing you know, you've given up on writing. I know. The book I'm writing now is about the fourth one that I've started on. With this one, however, I've made the decision to remind myself each time I begin typing that this is called a ROUGH DRAFT for a reason... It's supposed to be rough!!

What is your biggest writing faux pas? What have you done to correct it or get over it and continue writing?

-Joseph

3 comments:

  1. I have that same problem! I'm afraid I can't pull off a great book in present so mine is in past, but at first I kept accidentally changing to present. My next book will have to be present tense just to see if I can do it. I agree to ignore the terrible grammar until after the first draft is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I do okay with tense for the most part, but I always get then and than mixed up and have to actually think about it to get it right which is annoying when you're right in the middle of a scene. I also think it's okay to ignore horrible cliche's and lack of intense description on the first draft. That's my excuse anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually okay with tenses except for the occasional slip. My biggest problem is punctuation. Those commas keep slipping in where I don't want them and are missing when I do need them. Then that whole dashes versus commas conundrum frustrates me to know end. I try to ignore it when in the middle of writing, but sometimes my grammar-freak brain won't let go. :)

    ReplyDelete