Saturday, August 11, 2012

Slump

I am in a writing slump.  "But Kiera," you say, "you've only been writing for three weeks, surely you can't be in a slump already?"  Yes, it's true.  Here is the problem.  My book is very location specific.  It is based in Istanbul and a lot of the plot hinges on it being in this specific location and on my ability to accurately describe said location in a way that makes it sound exotic and exciting while still maintaining more then a passing degree of accuracy.  So after writing a bunch of fluffy plot filling bits I find that I must now do much more extensive research then I had planned....
"Luckily," my brain says, "I have a masters degree!  and we all know what having a masters degree means!  That's right!  We know how to research!"
"But," says the whiny dominant voice in my head, "I hate researching stuff.  I'd rather lounge about all day reading silly romance novels than doing any real work....and...I have those kids!  I think they need my attention!  I'm almost certain they need my attention more than a research paper on Istanbul does!  and so does my netflix queue!  It's been sitting around in cyberspace just waiting to be dusted off!  Look at all those shows I've been meaning to watch."
At this point my brain is apt to roll it's eyes in disgust and walk away...or it would if brains had feet...or eyes...
Anyway, the point being, I am lazy and I don't want to put in the time doing the research for this book. However, I'm sure this will prove to be a momentary lapse as my logical brain seems to be coming back into the room and reminding me that writing is a job that requires effort on my part and that if I want to be an author I will put on my big girl panties and go to it.  *sigh*  Stupid brain, I knew it was a mistake to let it out again after all these years. ;)

Anyone else run into snags like this?

-Kiera
18 pages
11,069 words and counting.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it girl! Want to know what I do to make the research fun? I'm very visual so I gather a bunch of pictures. It's fun to search google images sometimes. I found a bunch of castles on there for some of my inspiration. Super fun. So get started with the images then maybe you'll feel inspired to do the real research. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete