Monday, September 10, 2012

Finding the time...


So remember how I was all excited for school to start because it would mean I had two full hours five days a week of uninterrupted writing time?  Well the first week went really well.  I averaged about 1400 words a day for the first four days.  The fifth day I fell asleep and took a two hour nap instead of writing.  Then came Labor Day weekend.  We had company over and any time to write went out the window.  So come the next Tuesday I get on the computer to write some more.  I only managed 600 words that day because I wanted to watch this silly show I had been catching up with on Netflix.  But I figured any words are better than no words and shrugged it off.  Then Wednesday I totaled my car.  I decided that day deserved a nap.  Thursday and Friday as well (naps are awesome btw).  So here we are to Monday again and if I wanted to add up all of my missed days I could think that I was about 6400 words behind schedule.  But that's gets kind of depressing so I am choosing to think more in terms of I've added five days (so a week) to my writing time.  Had I continued at the 1400 words/day pace I would have finished my first draft at the end of October.  As it is we are now going into November.  But that's assuming 80k words which I may not need to tell the story.

Also, once again I feel like the story is boring and I don't want to write it and if I don't want to write it then no one will want to read it, etc, etc...  However, even if it is the worst manuscript in the history of writing (and surely it can't be THAT bad) I think I should still soldier on if for no other reason than to get to my next book which has a much more interesting plot (in my opinion).  What do you do when you're sick of your own story?

-Kiera
61 pages (88 paperback pages),
22,040 words and counting.

3 comments:

  1. Those of us who aren't career writers yet, meaning we have earned NO MONEY for our HOURS OF WORK, can take a break. But maybe just to stay in the habit of having "writing" time do some research for a story or plotting or write a journal entry from one of your characters. When I'm sick of my story I don't write which is bad. Maybe I should take my own advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A journal entry from one of your characters? Like; "Hey it's Cindy. Man is Bob sucking today during our crazy adventure..." That's a cool idea. I might have to try that. Then you could post them to your website after you're famous as cool "extras."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! That was totally not my own idea by the way. 3 years ago when I started thinking about writing a book I read the book 'The Everything Guide to Writing Children's Books' by Lesley Bolton. I should reread it now, but I remember that was one of the writing exercises she suggested for fun.

    ReplyDelete